The master of arts degree in global entertainment and music business provides advanced instruction to guide and prepare music industry professionals to lead today’s global music industry as visionaries, executives, and entrepreneurs. Global entertainment and music business master’s students focus on the skills, concepts, and methodologies of global business models. They learn to apply these models to the artistic management and entrepreneurial challenges of music and digital media in the international contemporary entertainment industry. Through a contemporary approach to global entertainment and music business, students strengthen analytical and leadership skills, as well as written, oral, and musical communication skills, as they excel as music business leaders. Students not only enhance their professional skills and knowledge, they also grow as leaders of the music industry.
*Course content is subject to change.
A PDF with course descriptions can be found here.
The master’s program runs from September to August. For a list of important dates for the upcoming intake, click here.
Program Purposes and Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program students will be able to:
- Synthesize the language of the global music and entertainment industries
- Evaluate and apply leadership models as tools for ethical and culturally-influenced decision-making
- Apply effective promotion and marketing strategies to the global development of music and entertainment
- Synthesize research techniques applicable to the global music and entertainment industries
- Synthesize intellectual property laws, with particular attention to rights licensing
- Assess markets for emerging business models
- Assess financial considerations in the commerce of music and entertainment in a global economy
- Forecast trends and gain expertise in the technology applications appearing in business environments
These are some examples of the career paths students can pursue after completing this program:
- Artist Management
- Concert Promoter
- Music Publishing
- Music Supervision
- Research and Education (university faculty member)
- Music or Technology entrepreneur
Learn more about careers in Global Entertainment and Music Business.
Who Are We Looking for?
We seek focused, motivated, creative candidates with excellent academic and professional backgrounds who can contribute skills that will benefit the program. The ideal candidate wants to:
- Explore advanced concepts and models in the global music industry.
- Apply managerial and/or entrepreneurial skills to existing entertainment and music business environments.
- Master all aspects of placing intellectual property in international commerce.
- Lead and influence the direction of the profession as visionaries, executives, and entrepreneurs.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the elements of a successful enterprise.
- Candidates should demonstrate that they have:
- Prior academic success.
- Experience in music or entertainment, preferably with a business connection.
- Leadership in professional and/or academic environments.
- Effective communication skills (musically, orally, and in writing).
- The ability to work effectively with others typically found in the global music industry.
Global entertainment and music business applicants must possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and demonstrate leadership, motivation, intellectual curiosity, and promise of great achievement in their area of study.
Early action application deadline: November 30, 2012
Applicants who apply by November 30, 2012 will be notified regarding their acceptance by February 15, 2013.
Applicants to the contemporary performance master’s program who apply by November 30, 2012 and complete their audition by January 31, 2013, will be notified of their acceptance decision by Feb 15, 2013.
Regular action application deadline: March 1, 2013
Applicants who apply by March 1, 2013 will be notified regarding their acceptance by May 15, 2013.
Applicants to the contemporary performance master’s program who apply by March 1, 2013 and complete their audition by April 1, 2013 will be notified of their acceptance decision by May 15, 2013.
Extended application deadline: April 30, 2013
Applicants who apply by April 30, 2013 will be notified regarding their acceptance by May 31, 2013.
Applicants to the contemporary performance master’s program who apply and audition by April 30, 2013 will be notified of their acceptance decision by May 31, 2013.
Applications received after April 30, 2013 will be considered at the discretion of the admissions board.
There are three steps in the admissions process:
1. Application and fee
3. Final admissions decision
For complete information about the admissions process, click here.
Tuition and Related Costs 2013-2014 academic year
Application fee (waived for Berklee alumni): $150
Tuition Fee: $35,750
Tuition deposit (non-refundable. This deposit will be credited towards tuition charges): $2,500.00
Comprehensive fee: $1,100*
Late payment fee: $250
Late check-in fee: $250
*The comprehensive fee covers services and facilities that augment the students’ academic experience and includes, but is not limited to, students’ required registration into the Spanish educational system, students’ compulsory health insurance, and a variety of other services and facilities to which students have access.
Laptop and Software Requirements for the Master in Global Entertainment and Music Business
Berklee College of Music requires all entering master’s students to own a current generation Apple MacBook Pro laptop computer with specific software depending on your program of study. More detailed information will provided on the web after March 30th 2013.
Is the GRE or the GMAT required to apply for this program?
The GRE or the GMAT is not required to apply for this program, but is highly recommended.
Do I need to have a degree in music business?
Global entertainment and music business applicants must possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in music or business (or equivalent credentials) from an accredited institution and demonstrate leadership, motivation, intellectual curiosity, and promise of great achievement in their area of study.
I have an undergraduate degree from Berklee College of Music. Is there a special process to apply to this master’s degree program?
The process is the same as for any other applicant.