As a modern composer and arranger, you have to excel in a range of disciplines. The master’s degree in contemporary writing and production is a unique program designed to provide students with the strongest skills for the fast-moving global music industry. Combining cutting-edge technology for music production with a strong foundation in composition, arranging, and orchestration, this intensive degree prepares you to write and produce music for live performance, studio recording, and a variety of current media.
Note: Preparation for feature-length dramatic scoring is specifically excluded from this program. That area is addressed by the Berklee in Valencia master’s degree in scoring for film, television, and video games.
The program start date will be announced in the future. Please register here to receive program updates.
Full-time students will complete the program in three semesters taken during one calendar year. The coursework will be completed during the fall and spring semesters. Students will prepare their thesis/project during the following summer semester.
- Advanced Writing Projects
- Advanced Studio Production 1
- Advanced Studio Production 2
- Contemporary Orchestration
- Electronic Orchestration
- Advanced Topics in Multimedia Production
- History of Music Composition
- Writing for Large Jazz Ensemble 1
- Writing for Large Jazz Ensemble 2
- Symphonic Band Arranging 1
- Symphonic Band Arranging 2
- Culminating Experience in Contemporary Writing and Production
* Course content is subject to change
The master’s program runs from September to August.
Outcomes Of The Program
On successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Write professionally in the music industry.
- Understand the business, marketing, and financial aspects of working as a writer in the international music industry.
- Write music according to externally generated requirements in diverse styles and for a variety of ensembles.
- Operate a digital audio workstation to create professional-quality recordings of their work.
- Using hybrid production techniques, combine live performers in the recording studio with samples, loops, and sequences to create professional-quality master tracks.
- Collaborate with other musicians and professionals in typical industry production environments.
- Advertising music for radio, television, and new media
- Interactive music for the web and video games
- Arranging and production for artists’ live performance
- Recorded production
These are some examples of the career paths students can pursue after completing this program:
- Electronic and acoustic orchestrator
- Jingle writer
Learn more about Careers in Contemporary Writing and Production.
Who Are We Looking For?
We seek focused, motivated, creative candidates with excellent academic and professional backgrounds who can contribute skills that will benefit the program. This master’s degree is targeted to Berklee graduates as well as any other students seeking graduate work for careers as composers, arrangers, and producers in the music industry. Students considering this program should have:
- Experience in writing, arranging, and producing music in a variety of styles and for diverse ensembles.
- Well-developed skills with music technology.
- A working knowledge of contemporary harmony.
*Admissions requirements, application process information, and important deadlines will be published shortly. Please register here to receive program updates.
Valencia Admissions Contact Info
Berklee in Valencia Office
Phone: + 34 91 522 45 36
Faculty teaching this program are industry professionals and dedicated educators committed to sharing their expertise and experience with their students. Each has a master of music degree or equivalent professional experience; significant past and current experience as an active composer, arranger, conductor, and/or producer in a variety of contemporary music styles; well-developed skills in music technology; and teaching experience in writing, arranging, and music technology.
Application Fee: 120 Euros (Nonrefundable)
Tuition Fee: 24.500 Euros (Total cost of the program)
Tuition Deposit: 500 Euros (The tuition deposit is credited towards tuition charges in the first semester of attendance.)
Is the GRE or the GMAT required to apply for this program?
The GRE or the GMAT is not required to apply for this program.
Do I need to have a degree in composition?
Entrance requirements include an undergraduate degree in music (or equivalent credentials);